This is an appropriate point to review and / or assess
progress and the activities on pages 67 to 70 are designed for this purpose.
The following activities could be used for extension work.
- Learners could work in twos or threes to produce some directions as in activity 11 for
others to follow.
- To practise food vocabulary, with learners sitting in a circle, one person starts by
saying Dê-me and an item of his/her choice, e.g. um quilo de
tomates. Working clockwise, the next person repeats this and adds an item Dê-me
um quilo de tomates e três bananas. This continues round the group with everyone
adding an item for as long as possible. A very large class can be divided into smaller
groups. (This activity is also useful for revising vocabulary relating to ordering drinks
in a café and food in a restaurant.)
- To practise numbers, in groups of four learners use dice to build random four figure
numbers according to the throw of the die. e.g.
- A throws a 3 and says três
B throws a 6 and says trinta e seis
C throws a 5 and says trezentos e sessenta e cinco
D throws a 2 and says três mil seiscentos e cinquenta e dois.
- The following are examples of situations used either as tutor-learner role plays,
learner-learner role plays or as information gap activities with information supplied to
- You have just arrived in an Portuguese resort and need some local information:
whether there's a supermarket nearby
if it's open on Sunday
if there's a swimming pool
where the tourist office is.
You go to the local shop to buy:
suitable quantities of milk, bread rolls, fruit, wine for a family
postcards and stamps